Monday, April 18, 2005

Cheers to Mushy Peas


Mmmm. Mushy Peas.
Posted by
Hello

We can eat sushi in South Carolina. We can eat cannoli in Colorado. We can eat escargot in the East Village. Foods from almost any region can be enjoyed almost anywhere else in the world. Ethiopian. Vietnamese. Mexican. Yet, I've noticed that SOME food items seem to stay where they started. My example being: mushy peas.

For those not in the know : mushy peas are dried marrowfat peas which have been soaked overnight and then boiled. They are a great favourite of the north of England and are a traditional accompaniment to fish and chips. I've eaten at a few "English" pubs in the US, and many tried to create a menu similar to what you might find outside of London. Bangers and mash. Kidney pie. Shepherd's pie. But I've yet to see mushy peas on the menu. This is me though. There could be places out there in the US that serve them and I'm just not aware, but it's not exactly a food item you hear about regularly. Be honest...did YOU know about mushy peas? I had no clue until about 2-3 years ago.

The thing is, we have peas here. It's a common vegetable ( one of my favorites actually ) and the only way you ever hear it getting used is in it's typical spherical form or made into soup. The mushy thing never came into play. Granted, the pea they use is different from the average garden variety pea we usually eat - but I'm sure we can get these marrowfat peas. If you can get cucuzza ( long bright green italian zucchini ) in a supermarket, then we should be able to get these fancy peas. I guarantee more than half of the US has never heard of mushy peas. Shit, even HAGGIS made it into specialty stores and butcher shops within the US, but in my opinion, Scotland can have it BACK. The reason we know about it is because of how disgusting it sounds. I recall Mel Gibson being taunted into eating some on Jay Leno. Like Mike Myers said in "So I Married An Axe Murderer" ( paraphrase )
"I believe most Scottish cuisine was based on a dare."

But, this is about MUSHY PEAS.

I'm gonna have to start scouring the international section in fancy grocery stores to see if a can of mushy peas pops up ( I've seen them online. ) I want them to get their due. The world needs to know about mushy peas, damn it!! Maybe England is being tight-lipped about their sloppy green concoction, but it was adorable "Naked Chef" Jamie Oliver that opened my eyes to mushy peas. Maybe it's because I'm a proud pea lover that I find this mushy pea mystery so exciting.

Oi Oi Oi!!! Mushy Peas!

Motorhead - God Save The Queen ( Sex Pistols cover )





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home