Thursday, June 23, 2005

I'm a dog girl, but.....

Xena, Freddy, and Homer aka "My Pussy Posse"

Recently, a lot of my friends have lost some of their treasured pets. It's a very sad thing to go through. I've been there. This is why I felt the need to give some props to my cats.

I'm the first to admit, my cats are more of an annoyance than a joy. Something happens when you have a kid. These furballs were once my babies. Now, I'm like "Get out of my way." There is always a pile of cat barf waiting to be cleaned up. They shed everywhere. They stink up the place with their nasty pee smell and stinky litter. And the one that still has his claws loves to sink them into any upholstered furniture in his path. But we rescued them for a reason. We wanted pets. We wanted to save them from being put to sleep. And I will continue to care for them and give them a comfortable home as long as they live ( and being indoor cats, that could be a loooong time ) No matter HOW much they grate on my nerves!

Let me introduce you to the cat clan....

First up is Xena ( top photo ) - She is a gray tabby. Technically, she is Gabe's cat. He adopted her in Austin from an animal hospital sometime before he moved to Boston ( 97? 98? ) and at the time the vet thought she was about 4 years old. We are under the assumption now that Xena is either 11 or 12. She's the oldest of the group and only female. Declawed and spayed. Very quiet and likes to be left alone. Sleeps in our computer room most of the time. Pretty sweet, and loves to sit on laps when it's HER decision - but if you were to piss her off ( like the other cats do ) she will turn into one hissing growling bitch. She will also do this at the vet too. Hard to believe this petite, bony little thing can have a screech like she does. But trust me, she does.

Next up is Freddy ( middle photo ) - He is a dark haired tiger cat. Hands down the most beautiful of the 3. Amazing that we found him at a shelter. Gorgeous striped pattern with spotted stomach and the most incredible green-agua eyes. Freddy was adopted by both Gabe and I in 2000 from an animal shelter in Danvers, MA and he was about a year and a 1/2 then ( we say he is 6 or so. ) The youngest of the bunch, and hands down the biggest love slut I've ever known for a cat. LOVES LOVES LOVES to be petted and held and cuddled and will climb all over you to get some affection. He can be skittish and is known to hide when company comes over, but once he mellows you, you can't get rid of him. Neutered and HAS his claws, he's been known to do some damage ( you should see the walls at our old East Boston apt. ) and he does have a tendency to get TOO comfy and dig his claws in your thighs. Likes to stare out the window and makes really strange noises at squirrels and birds, and goes apeshit if you open a can of tuna.

Last but definitely not least is Homer ( last photo ) - He is a Maine Coon cat. Complete with a huge head, double paws, and weighs in at 20lbs. ( and yes, that's normal for a Maine Coon! ) I adopted him from a cat hospital in Auburn, MA as a gift to myself on my 30th birthday. He was a 2 year old neutered MONSTER in a cage, and I just knew I had to have him. He's 8 years old now ( the middle cat ) and he also has no claws. Definitely a mellow cat. Will just sit and watch what's going on around him. Not phased by much. However, he's not a super friendly guy either. While he does have a purr that sounds like an outboard motor, he bites. Mostly it's a persnickety playful bite, but when he wants to ( and if provoked ) he will take a chomp. Been that way every since I got him ( leads me to believe he wasn't treated well at his first home ) Has a low gurgly meow and will sit nearby as I eat cereal, PRAYING I give him the leftover milk.

Unfortunately, because all of these cats come from different homes at different times, it makes them very wary of each other. They "tolerate" each other. That's it. No cuddling. No sleeping together. And if one is in the other's space, they let them know FAST. I've known cats that were way mor of a hassle than these guys are, so I guess I can't complain TOO much. While I may be a dog girl ( the reason we have cats is because where we were both living, we couldn't have dogs ) I do like a good cat. You'll hear all about my dog fascination in another post.

Squeeze - Cool For Cats.mp3

The Cure - Love Cats.mp3

Tom Jones - What's New, Pussycat?.mp3



1 Comments:

Blogger countrygrrl said...

fab selection,,,,like your toons,,,,

4:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home