Friday, July 15, 2005

9021-OOOOOH!


Brian Austin Green cools off by the pool
Posted by
Picasa

First, we must say HAPPY BIRTHDAY to Brian Austin Green ( aka David Silver ) for he is 32 years old today! Wooohooooo!

I will tell anyone. I LOVED "BEVERLY HILLS 90210". I remember who I was with and where I was when I caught the premiere episode in 1990 ( I was 21. ) It wasn't shocking or too provocative or depressing. It was just this somewhat trendy nighttime teen soap opera that was SO fun to get hooked on. The pilot is one big commercial for California almost. Namedropping this store and this boutique and this fashion statement and this "cool" band ( ie: David Silver wearing a New Order shirt. ) It was laughable and the characters were snooty 2 dimensional paper dolls. However, the writers did their best ( and achieved I think ) to turn these cookie cutter kids into individuals with depth and quirks and heart. Well, MOST of them.

It was a blast to watch. I lived with 5 guys in 1991-92 and they would RACE home on time ( with a case of beer ) to catch it. It wasn't just a show for the teenybop girl crowd. My 20-something rocker party crowd enjoyed it too. I knew people that had 90210 Nights ( complete with the Brenda Bitch drinking game. ) Anytime Brenda said something bitchy, you drank. So, you got hammered a lot.

They tried to stay current with their topics. Brenda's pregnancy scare. Racism. Etc etc.
The best episodes revolved around all the "addiction" and "drug/booze use" that occurred on the show. It all started with Brandon crashing his car after downing some of Steve's lethal punch at a party ( quick trivia question: What was the name of Brandon's car? MONDALE! )
The way the writers ( and Mr. & Mrs. Walsh ) treated that moment in future discussions, you'd think Brandon was Bukowski. Let's see, then Donna gets drunk at the prom. Kelly gets hooked on diet pills during her modeling phase. Brandon's wild girlfriend, Emily Valentine slips "Euphoria" into their drinks ( nice ecstasy cover. ) David gets hooked on crystal meth. Valerie is a pothead. Kelly becomes a coke fiend. Donna goes on a painkiller binge because of her back. David is now a manic depressive and must go on psychiatric medication. Noah is a lush. Valerie gets slipped a roofie. And of course, Dylan becomes a heroin addict.

COME ON!!! HOW COULD ANYONE NOT LOVE THAT SHOW!?!?!?!
( they should have made Andrea a glue sniffer or something. )

The last few years sucked. No question. But, I'll stand by the first 6 years easily.
I want them to come out with a dvd box set of the series - but it would be huge in size - seeing that it was on for 10 years.

While trying to find a fitting popular 90's tune to pay homage to the show, I came across this ditty and I think it says it all....

Madonna - Take A Bow.mp3


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home